Online application form will be live on 20 June 2022. The admission process is an online one, including payment of application fee. There is NO physical process involved.


A - for new CBCS

For the students who are passing out this year under the new CBCS course, there is NO requirement of Honours / Major course for admission into a postgraduate cours in any subject. All you need is a minimum credit of 24 (twenty four) in the concerned subject (for traditional subjects) to be eligible to seek admission.

B - for non-CBCS

BA/BSc/BCom (in 10+2+3 pattern) with Major/honours courses in the concerned subject or B.A./B.Sc./B.Com. (in 10+2+3 pattern) with a general pass course with at least 45% Marks in the concerned subject as well as in aggregate or equivalent CGPA. [45% Marks is to be calculated on the basis of marks obtained in Part I and Part II of the (2+1) pattern and part I, part II and Part III of the (1+1+1) pattern are eligible to seek admission to the University. However, certain specific eligibility criteria have been fixed by the concerned departments and these are applicable especially for the interdisciplinary subjects.


The admissions will be conducted entirely on the basis of Entrance Examination.

Reservation of Seats

  1. Scheduled Caste: 7%

  2. Scheduled Tribes (Plains): 10%

  3. Scheduled Tribes (Hill): 5%

  4. OBC & MOBC: 15%

  5. Differently Abled: 3% (for each Discipline of Faculty)

  6. Sons and daughters of permanent GU Employees Quota:
    1 for Seat in each dept with intake capacity 40 or less and
    2 seats when the intake is more than 40 students.

  7. Fringe Village: 10 seats

  8. GU Ex-Employees: 5 seats

  9. Ex- Defense: As per EC resolution

  10. Moran Community of Assam: 2 seats.

  11. Extra Curricular: 1 seat in each department.

  12. NCC & NSS: 5 seats.

  13. Economically Weaker Section (EWS): 10%

University-wise Seat Matrix (Revised)

  1. 80% seats in traditional subjects are exclusively reserved for GU students and remaining 20% seats are open for students from other univesities.

  2. In case of interdisciplinary subjects, all seats are open to all students, irrespective of any university.

  3. Exception
    In case of MSc in Geology, the seat matrix between students from GU and other universities is 50:50.

Entrance Examination

  1. The entrance examination will be of two-hour duration and OMR-based multiple choie question type (MCQ).

  2. There will be 100 questions. For each correct answer, 1 mark will be awarded while for each wrong answer 0.25 mark will be deducted.

  3. A student can opt for appearing in the entrance examination for a maximum of three subjects (one traditional and two interdisciplinary)

International Students

Gauhati University has separate guidelines regarding admission of International Students to Graduate and Masters Programs. Academic qualifications from Universities or Boards of Higher Education, recognized as equivalent by the Association of Indian Universities (AIU) shall be the sole criterion for admission under these regulations into the various academic programs/courses in the University Departments/Centres for the International/NRI students. By ‘International student’ is meant one who has a valid passport of the home country at the time of application. Students from the negative list of countries of MHRD, Govt. of India will not be admitted. International Students can seek admission to various Graduate and Masters Programs under the following categories:

  • Self-financing students (Full programme)

  • Cultural Exchange Fellowship Programmes (Govt. of India): International students with ICSSR fellowship (Government of India) desirous of admission under this Fellowship Programmes are required to apply through the Indian High Commission/ Embassy as the case may be, in their respective countries. Such students need to send the application to ICSSR, Government of India. ICSSR will forward the ap- plication/s to various Universities/Institutes in India as the case may be for consideration. In case the applicant is found suitable for admission offer letter will be sent to him/her through Indian Council for Cultural Relations, New Delhi.

  • Visiting Students under Memorandum of Understanding (MoU): Admission of International students/NRI Students under MoUs will be made in accordance with the terms and conditions spelt out in the MoUs agreed to between Gauhati University and the Country/University/Institution concerned.

International Students should visit the IRW website.

Note: The list of the institutions with whom Gauhati University has entered into MoUs is available at