A - for new CBCS
B - for non-CBCS
Reservation of Seats
Scheduled Caste: 7%
Scheduled Tribes (Plains): 10%
Scheduled Tribes (Hill): 5%
OBC & MOBC: 15%
Differently Abled: 3% (for each Discipline of Faculty)
Sons and daughters of permanent GU Employees Quota:
1 for Seat in each dept with intake capacity 40 or less and
2 seats when the intake is more than 40 students.
Fringe Village: 15 seats
GU Ex-Employees: 5 seats
Ex- Defense: As per EC resolution
Moran Community of Assam: 2 seats.
Extra Curricular: 1 seat in each department.
NCC & NSS: 5 seats.
Economically Weaker Section (EWS): 10%
University-wise Seat Matrix (Revised)
70% seats in traditional subjects are exclusively reserved for GU students and remaining 30% seats are open for students from other universities.
In case of interdisciplinary subjects, all seats are open to all students, irrespective of any university.
In case of MSc in Geology, the seat matrix between students from GU and other universities is 30:70.
The entrance examination will be of two-hour duration and OMR-based multiple choie question type (MCQ).
There will be 100 questions. For each correct answer, 1 mark will be awarded while for each wrong answer 0.25 mark will be deducted.
A student can opt for appearing in the entrance examination for a maximum of three subjects (one traditional and two interdisciplinary). However, applicabts should refer to the overlap of examination dates for two subjects, if any, where they would like to appear in through PGET, so that both the subjects do not overlap in the same session.
Gauhati University has separate guidelines regarding admission of International Students to Graduate and Masters Programs. Academic qualifications from Universities or Boards of Higher Education, recognized as equivalent by the Association of Indian Universities (AIU) shall be the sole criterion for admission under these regulations into the various academic programs/courses in the University Departments/Centres for the International/NRI students. By ‘International student’ is meant one who has a valid passport of the home country at the time of application. Students from the negative list of countries of MHRD, Govt. of India will not be admitted. International Students can seek admission to various Graduate and Masters Programs under the following categories:
Self-financing students (Full programme)
Cultural Exchange Fellowship Programmes (Govt. of India): International students with ICSSR fellowship (Government of India) desirous of admission under this Fellowship Programmes are required to apply through the Indian High Commission/ Embassy as the case may be, in their respective countries. Such students need to send the application to ICSSR, Government of India. ICSSR will forward the ap- plication/s to various Universities/Institutes in India as the case may be for consideration. In case the applicant is found suitable for admission offer letter will be sent to him/her through Indian Council for Cultural Relations, New Delhi.
Visiting Students under Memorandum of Understanding (MoU): Admission of International students/NRI Students under MoUs will be made in accordance with the terms and conditions spelt out in the MoUs agreed to between Gauhati University and the Country/University/Institution concerned.
International Students should visit the IRW website.
Note: The list of the institutions with whom Gauhati University has entered into MoUs is available at https://gauhati.ac.in.